Monday, October 12, 2020

Impacts on Education and Learning

Education during Covid can basically be summed up by this meme:

Students have been left to fend for themselves and teach themselves the material. Most of our learning is assignment-based with various things due at 11:59pm. Initially, teachers were completely unprepared to fully teach in an online setting so they scattered to make up lesson plans, give us work online, and teach amidst uncertainty about their own family’s health. I give teachers a lot of credit for the extensive work they had to do in order to do the best they could for us in the spring semester of 2020. With that being said, I did find that the quality of education was poor. There wasn’t a lot of work given to us and we felt as if we didn’t truly learn anything.

 

However, that all changed come fall. With teachers better prepared to teach their courses online, we immediately jumped in as if the class was the same as in person. That was a major flaw with our education I believe – you cannot expect students to focus on work when they’re doing it in their bedroom and surrounded my devices and loud family members. Moreover, learning is much more difficult when not placed in a setting that the brain associated with learning. The act of being in a classroom, and going to a separate one for each class, is important for the brain. We simply cannot learn the same way that we do online as we do in a classroom.

 

Furthermore, it can also be difficult to focus on learning when we are preoccupied with worry. Students have had to learn despite a family contracting the virus, or even themselves. How are we supposed to focus on our studies when we are worried about a global deadly pandemic surrounding us? Most professors have not adjusted for this and it shows with our GPA. We have in-person expectations with a virtual setting and many students are not able to keep their grades up. I know for me, learning calculus online has been a nightmare and while I feel like I haven’t learned much, I am still given extremely difficult exams. If there could be a program implemented where students could opt online classes out of their GPA or somehow get a hardship clause added, I would greatly appreciate that. I think all our grades need to be taken with a grain of salt right now and not every class should count towards our GPA. I would even suggest allowing students to retake classes for free in-person and replace the old grade with the new one if they improve. I don’t know what the solution is to be fair with grading but what I do know is that students should not be punished for putting an honest effort forward but still failing when they are trying to learn at this time. 


It also isn't fair that some students may have had parents who lost their jobs so they have to work to keep their family afloat. Working long shifts and managing schoolwork is unfair. Coming from a family with financial stability as well as good health is a major advantage right now. Students who need to work or care for family members who may have fallen ill are preoccupied with more pressing concerns. There is no equality when it comes to education right now. Every student's experience is unique to them and cannot be used as a comparison to a student who may be more or less advantaged right now.

 

Additionally, with European and Asian nations implementing in-person classes, I feel as if I am at a disadvantage. They are getting a better education than me and it makes me worry about the future. Will they outcompete me in the job market? If I don’t feel like I’m leaning anything, will I actually be prepared to enter the workforce after college? These questions haunt me. I think that we will see a major educational and economic impact when students who received a virtual education are asked to apply their skills in-person even though they had not had the opportunity to practice that. As a chemistry major, I am supposed to be actively learning how to perform certain lab techniques, yet half of my labs are online where I just watch someone perform it. I am not truly learning what is being done and I will not be able to replicate in the future if asked. There are some jobs that simply need their graduates to have had an in-person education.

 

One thing is for sure: being a student during a pandemic is not fun. Hopefully, we will still get the education we need to be successful and the impacts are not as treacherous as they could be. We all are worthy of a good education and we should not have to sacrifice that on top of everything else we have to give up. My hope is that universities and employers show mercy to us because, after all, we’re all just trying to get our assignments in by 11:59pm.